Richard S. Fisk
Richard focuses his litigation practice on personal injury, employment, consumer protection, and business disputes. Richard has tried jury and bench trial cases throughout Kansas and Missouri and has represented his clients before the Kansas & Missouri Court of Appeals and Kansas Supreme Court. Richard also advises companies across various industries. His business representation often includes intellectual property protection, negotiations, compliance, contracts and agreements, business formation, and employee/human resources issues.
Richard graduated from Washburn University School of Law, with Dean’s Honors. He concentrated his studies in business law, earning a Business & Transactional Law Certificate, with distinction. He was the recipient of multiple academic scholarships and highest class grade awards in law school. Richard was presented with the National Order of Scribes Legal Writing Award, presented to the top legal writers in his graduating class, as selected by law school faculty. Richard was a teaching assistant and research assistant for law school faculty. Richard graduated from the University of Kansas and received his Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, with concentrations in marketing and political science.
Richard is a member of the Kansas Bar Association, Missouri Bar Association, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Johnson County Bar Association, and Kansas Trial Lawyers Association. In 2019, Richard was selected as a top-rated civil litigation attorney by Super Lawyers, a rating service of lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. This selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
Recent business/transaction accomplishments include:
- Represented seller in sale of non-asset-based business with closing price in excess of $2,500,000 with consulting contract with buyer.
- Represented buyer in acquisition of controlling interest in corporation and reorganization to LLC with closing price of $1,450,000.
- Represented buyer in acquisition of competitor through asset purchase negotiation and transaction with closing price in excess of $650,000.00 exclusive of contingent payments.
Recent litigation accomplishments include:
- Represented employee in wrongful termination claim after employee was terminated for exercising rights under workers compensation laws, resulting in Kansas Supreme Court decision strengthening employee rights and confidential settlement.
- Represented business partner in lawsuit against former partner for failure to operate the partnership appropriately, resulting in trial and judgment for client.
- Represented client in personal injury lawsuit from car crash, resulting in trial and judgment of almost two-times more than best offer before trial.
- Represented client in personal injury lawsuit from fall at workplace, resulting in both a workers compensation claim settlement and a six-figure confidential settlement against occupier of the property.
- Represented client in consumer protection lawsuit against auto dealership after dealership failed to perform warranty work and mislead client to enter into purchase, resulting in a six-figure judgment against the dealership.
- Represented business owner in lawsuit against neighboring property owner for damages caused by flooding, resulting in six-figure confidential settlement.